Thursday, August 28, 2008

Boring Life No More!

As I mentioned before, our life is generally pretty boring. Same old stuff day in and day out. But today, I got a big dose of excitement. As a result, my brain is no longer functioning properly. What kind of excitement? Let me tell you.


About a year ago, I joined the United States Public Health Service. It's one of the 7 uniformed services. Although it's non-combat, we still can be deployed. Mostly for natural disasters like Katrina. No big deal, that was 3 years ago. And how often does Mother nature get angry like that? Apparently, every 3 years. Hurricane Gustav is expected to enter the Gulf of Mexico on Sunday. Me? I am "tentatively selected" for deployment on Monday. My first reaction was, what?! Then, more questions. I don't have the proper uniforms, how long does it take to get them ready, when would I know if I am definitely going, my Labor Day weekend plans are gone, what do I need to pack, how do I get to where ever it is I am supposed to go, etc. The amusing part is, no one can answer these questions, as no one can tell me for sure if I am going, and if I go, when I'd go.


So, I started by getting my camouflage uniforms ready. The smallest size the store had was a small. When I tried it on, my first thought was, I need child sizes. Then I thought, no silly, they don't have children in military. Needless to say, nothing fit. Not the jacket, not the pants, not the boots, nothing. So I placed an order online for extra-small sized everything. Hopefully they'll fit better.


1 comment:

CLO said...

I always thought you were crazy to "enlist" but it is pretty exciting :-) YOu must take photos of yourself in camouflage for your blog!