Friday, September 5, 2008

EMG at HHS SOC

So I am on deployment. To the far away location of Washington DC, more than 1000 miles away from Louisiana where Gustav landed. Why? One theory is that someone saw a picture of me, and decided I am too weak to work in a trying environment. Another theory is they wanted to use my organizational skills and help out at the headquarters. Regardless of the reason, I am being stationed at the SOC (Secretary's Operation Center). Sound impressive? You bet. It's like in the movies, with a whole front wall covered with screens of area maps, and multiple TVs showing CNN and the weather channel. SOC prepares reports for the president! My job? I am the little liaison that sits here in the middle of the night, to do nothing. Well, not nothing, I answer phone calls, if any, that comes in, in the middle of the night. I am not complaining though. I've heard some officers got deployed to the affected areas, and have to work 12 hour shifts, sleep on floors or on buses, being shuffled between places.

This whole ordeal has been a little bit disappointing. First, I was all anxious to go where ever Gustav made landfall. Half of the people from my office are there, vs me being all alone in the SOC. Then the whole scheduling of the shifts. I was told initially my shift is 7 PM to 7 AM, everyday. But the need for coverage changes daily, so I get multiple phone calls a day, changing from you are on today, no you are off, no, sorry you are on, to finally, no, stay home today. I feel like I've spent the last couple of days trying to sleep, all day long. At least I am at home though, sleeping in my own comfy bed. The crazy thing is, for the next 3 days, I am to work at the travel help desk, from 6 PM to 4 AM. Metro doesn't even run at 4 AM!! Going to need a chauffeur =)

I am surprised I am still awake at 3 AM. Guess the AC is keeping me frozen, so harder to fall asleep.

Keep your fingers crossed for Ike, it might be another bad one.

1 comment:

CLO said...

are you actually HOPING for a natural disaster?!