Monday, February 2, 2009

Weight Gain!

After our first trip to Vancouver in October 2007, Wei has always wanted to go back.  Why?  Because he loves to eat.  I've never considered ourselves to be "foodies," maybe just "foodie-wanna-bes."  So, when President Obama's inauguration gave me a 4 day weekend, I added 3 more days, and went on our second eating trip to Vancouver.  

Technically, it's not Vancouver, it's the city right by the airport, called Richmond.  It is basically the China/Hong Kong-City-in-North-America.  I remember the first time, I was totally amazed by the dense Chinese population.  Imagine a 2 miles radius, with nothing but Chinese malls, shopping centers, restaurants, and businesses.  Yes, Chinese mall.  Complete with it's own indoor water fountain and daily shows with lights and music.  It was close to Lunar New Year, so the whole place was decorated with lanterns and red stuff all over.

We wasted no time in our eating fest.  Our flight landed around 7:30PM, by 9:30 we were at the hot pot place and ready to eat.  On average, we try to eat 4 times a day, with some small snacks in between.  Not counting bubble teas, fresh sugar cane juice (which Wei had a total of 4 cups in 36 hours), and other miscellaneous drinks.  For a sample of what we ate, see album at the end of entry.  

I must say, 7 whole days of eating is too much.  After 3 days, we took a much needed break and drove up to Whistler.  I know, it's a ski resort.  Yes, I hate skiing.  No, I did not ski.  Yes, I got a wonderfully relaxing massage and bath.  And YES, Wei tried snowboarding for the first time, and fell on his butt.  And NO, I did not witness such a rare occasion.  When he was booking his one day lesson for snowboarding, he ask the lady : "I am pretty good at skiing already, are we going to be on the bunny slope the whole time?"  Too much confidence.  He also decided he didn't need the helmet nor the wrist guard, because he's pretty athletic.  Well, he admitted at the end of the day, he's not as young as he thought he was.  Let's just say he was in pain for the next 2 days.

Still, our 2 days at Whistler was very nice.  I wasn't expecting much, being a non-skier at the ski resort.  However, when I took the gondola up to the top, the views were breathtaking.  Sky was clear, mountains every where you look, covered with snow on top.  And it wasn't that cold!  I even walked around a bit, on the snow/ice, while holding on to Wei for dear life, of course.

When we got back to Richmond, we were starving for good food again.  And our feast started again.  Highlights include: fresh live sea urchin sushi, Peking duck skin meal, Alaskan king crab, numbingly spicy hot pot, fresh sugar cane juice, duck from food court, oh, and beard papas!  And note to self, never order hot pot with fish soup as base.  Too fishy!

So, what did this eating trip result?  I think, I am guessing, I gained about 2 pounds.  That's pretty impressive for me, in 1 week?!  Let's see how long this keeps before I loose it all again.

Here's the link to the photos.  Be forewarned, might induce crazy food cravings.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

CLO said...

that is some serious eating. at the end you only gained TWO POUNDS? Where does it all go? I want to know..