Thursday, October 30, 2008

Homeless

We are officially homeless now. Signed the papers this morning, and moved in with my parents. It's so sad to leave our first house together, it's like our baby. We saw it being built, furnished it, and had many great gatherings and memories at the house. Just when we were all done with improvements and ready to really sit back and enjoy, we had to sell it.

Let me first say, I had no idea one can accumulate so much in 4.5 years. Granted I've always suspected that I have too many clothes. But other miscellaneous junk? Like I have 10 different flower vases all in different sizes and shapes. And the number of times I've had to use a vase? Less than 5 in the whole 4.5 years. Then cables, Wei's got cables for computer, TV, speakers, Internet, phone, game consoles, enough for 5 boxes full of them. Think they multiple on its own?

Then it's the packing process. We started sorting through things in July, in preparation for open house. I packed away things we don't usually need, ie junk. I think I am too good at storing things with limited space. I must have packed 30 boxes of "non-essential" things before open house. Then once the house went under contract, I started to pack more and more. And things will materialize, and we would have to ask for more and more boxes. In total, I think we must have packed at least 100 boxes. We stored most of them with family and friends, but we still have furniture to pack and store. In comes the POD. We originally requested a 12 feet long unit, not sure if longer ones will fit the driveway. Ended up with a 16 feet unit, courtesy of the company. Thank goodness! We (by "we", I meant Wei and his brother), jam packed the unit end to end, floor to ceiling. And? It still didn't fit everything. Extra trips to parents house were made, and by the end, I just threw everything in boxes or bags and practiced "out of sight, out of mind".

Last night being our last night at the house, I thought maybe we can have some time to "say goodbye" to our house. We didn't finish cleaning/packing till 2 AM. Buyer were coming over at 8 AM for the final walk through. Needless to say, we were exhausted. We had a quick walk around the house, and bid it farewell this morning. At the settlement office, we handed our keys over, and it was official, the property is no longer our home. We are going to miss you 307 Oak Knoll Terrace!!

So, we are temporarily settled in with my parents. The new place should be ready in 3 weeks, can't wait!

1 comment:

CLO said...

congratulations guys!! I can imagine leaving your old house is a bit sad but you shall be making new memories in your new one soon enough!